With our expertise and knowledge of lightning protection systems, our team can assist with your lightning protection system design. We can also assist with procurement and installation if required.
Our experienced lightning protection system design team work closely with architects, builders, project managers and consultants to ensure that a correct and cost effective lightning protection solution is designed for each project.
Lightning Protection International will listen intensively and quickly gain an understanding of our client’s requirements, before responding effectively and competitively to their needs.
Using the latest risk assessment software our lightning protection consultants can carry out extensive risk assessments to EN 62035:2011 to determine which class of lightning protection system is required.
Lightning Protection System Design services include:
- Reviews of existing designs and drawings
- Designing coordinated lightning, surge protection and earthing systems to EN 62035 and NFC 17102
- Writing of specifications and tender documents to EN 62305 and NFC 17102
- Drafting services, including CAD drawings with system layouts and details
- Onsite surveys and discussions with the appropriate personnel
- Recommendations and costing for protection systems.
Our Lightning Protection Consultants use AutoGroundDesign when working on lightning protection system design.
The AutoGroundDesign software package is the only fully automated software tool that can analyze and design grounding systems without the intervention of the user between various phases of the design.
AutoGroundDesign has the following unique features. It:
- Generates grounding system designs based on a simple description of the substation site. The data entry requirements are reduced to a minimum, i.e., environment settings, soil data, grounding grid zone, fault current in the grid, safety-related data, as well as automated design parameters and controls.
- Models grounding systems and evaluates their performance. It is well suited to analyze and design a grounding grid as long as the longitudinal impedances of the ground conductors can be neglected.
- Analyzes and designs horizontal arbitrarily shaped grounding grids consisting of horizontal and vertical arrangements of bare conductors buried in uniform and multi-layered soils. This is achieved with an automatic meshing method that accounts for any polygonal shape.
- Presents a user-friendly interface, simplifying the specification of the horizontal arbitrary grounding zone. The shape of this zone can be defined and displayed dynamically from the interface. Each vertex can be moved by dragging it to a new position and the data is updated immediately in the data grid and vice versa.
- Carries out automated designs with several procedures, such as Automatic, Midpoint, and Linear methods. These procedures will specify the progress of the automated design process appropriately, using ground grid databases, smart search algorithms and techniques, as well as examining performance and evaluating criteria and constraints more efficiently.
- Offers three other modes of operations, namely, the Estimator, Configuration and Dimension Predictor modes that allow users to quickly and accurately estimate the resistance of various grounding systems (such as grids, plates, array of rods, star electrodes, circular rings, etc.) or to predict the size (dimension) or configuration of the grounding system that meets that resistance.
- Includes intermediate results from the grounding, soil resistivity and fault current distribution analyses as an integral part of – and enabling an examination and better understanding of – these results and all steps involved in the automated design process.
Features efficient and intelligent design techniques which have been developed to generate different types of observation points in order to accurately carry out computations while also minimizing computation time during the iterative design steps. At the final computation step, a complete set of observation points can be defined either automatically or by the user, to produce conventional rectangular 3D and spot 2D plots that are useful for exploring the computation results.
Contact Us today to get a free no obligation quote for lightning protection system design.